Thursday 21 October 2010

Whodunit?

One of the exciting things about writing a crime novel, for me, is discovering 'whodunit'. I'm three-quarters of the way through and I'm still not sure. There have been several possibilities along the way, but I've more or less narrowed it down to two suspects.

The downside of this, of course, is having to go back right to the beginning and tracking the character, ensuring that they were in the right place at the right time and that their character traits are in keeping with a psychopath or whatever!!

I am eager to finish my novel now, as I'd like to send it off to a Gold Dust mentor. I'm not sure about the merits of working closely with a well-known published writer on my novel, but I feel more comfortable doing this than sending it off into the ether. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience of working with a writing mentor.

6 comments:

Oldrightie said...

It wasn't me!

Anonymous said...

Can I safely assume that you're a seat-of-the-pants writer, rather than a plotter? ;o)

Jo said...

Sort of, Kev. I plot in my head as I go along... sort of 'Wouldn't it be good if this happened?' or 'I know, so-and-so could do such-and-such'..... It seems to be working so far, but I keep changing my mind about whodunit. I want it to be the person the reader least expects, but then does that become too obvious?

Unknown said...

Hi Jo, I came across Wannebe a Writer and saw your weekly exercises. Are you still doing this? Kind regards, Carole.

Jo said...

Hi Carole
I'm doing the Weekly Workout writing exercises on the new Wannabe a Writer site now. On holiday at the moment, but hope to set another when I get back. Hope you will join in.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reply, Jo. Carole.